Lionheart Clan Forum
Log-in here! If you are new, please register!
Lionheart Clan Forum
Log-in here! If you are new, please register!
Lionheart Clan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lionheart Clan Forum

Home of the Casual Gamer

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to Lionheart Clan Forum. Enjoy your stay. If you have any problems, feedback or questions, feel free to post at the forums or through E-mail.

My Two Cents on Maplestory and Related Free MMORPGs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
VampiricLord
VampiricLord

Your Character
My Location: Castle of Ruin
Weapons: Minigun
Your Class: Support

My Two Cents on Maplestory and Related Free MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: My Two Cents on Maplestory and Related Free MMORPGs   My Two Cents on Maplestory and Related Free MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 12:33 am

I already wrote this somewhere else, as fish already knows and read. so this is a reprint.

Note that the first part deals with my views on Free MMORPGs. The second part reflects on my comparison between the different types.

Singaporeans with their never ending quest for free objects at low effort, have long been trapped by the pits of 'Free to Play' games

Singaporeans, the supposedly first-class country, with connections to the entire world and such, houses children and teenagers who have probably never heard/played a Multiplayer Game in which they have to pay monthly to continue, other than World of Warcraft. Sure, everyone has heard of WOW, they might have even bought the game and playing it right now. The rest of the Singaporean's Young are stuck at Korea and Japan's endless traps of Free MMORPGs.

Why? This is because of several reasons. Most pressing reason is because of the words 'free game' stuck there. Although Singaporeans still have standards to maintain, the Producers of such games fufil the 'free' part of their game to Singaporean's satisfaction, using the natural RPG platform of time-consumation to eventually leech of their customers buy making them pay for childish items, such as boosts to help speed the level of their characters or make them wear stylish clothes for a 1 or 2 months, which then they have to buy the items AGAIN.

Not convinced? Go check out Asiasoft, a well known name to many people of Singapore. I myself know some rich lads that bought 50 of those @Cash Cards for that game. For What? Not sure. They could have subscribed to Full-Content MMORPGs or bought quite alot of things that don't dissapear in 1 to 2 months.

I'm pretty sure Maplestory was the first 'Free' game you guys saw. I was duped before too, a Free Game that will eventually tempt you into buying some of those flashy money-takers in exchange for some bling.

Parents were probably duped too, thinking that a free game system would stop their wallets from draining. Worse. It drained their Wallets over time, with thier kids no longer contented with the monotonous life at high levels, demanding some change or acceleration, if only just for a month.

Okay, let me stop my own ranting the display this comparision....

Lets compare the different Retail Games at stock. Here are the types:
    'Free to Play' Games

(Ex. MapleStory, Audition, Combat Arms, Wolf Team)

Subcription-Based Games

(Ex. WoW, Everquest II, EVE Online)

Retailed Computer Games

(The $40-50 range, and not movie rip-offs.)

'Free to Play' Games

Pros
    Available through downloading.
    Free to an extent
    Has a large fanbase, largely because it's free.
    More lively community, higher chance to befriend somebody!

Cons
    Never really is developed correctly, Graphics range from rubbish to amateur.
    Few developers take heed to consumer feedback. Most patches go into minor bug fixes and additional items that only can be bought through hard cash.
    And that the items at the store is increasing super fast, while the in-game items gather dust? This shows you how they cobble cheap games to attemp to leech people to giving money to them. Although, there are some note worthy exclusions, where the graphics and gameplay are top-notch, but to gain flexibillty in the game, you have to spend hard cash.
    You played one one these, you'll feel like you've played them all, leading to short play time if you ever switched in-between these type of games.

Example: Maplestory
Note-Worthy Games: Alantica Online

Subcription-Based Games

Pros
    Is developed to the best of content and is very stunning to look at.
    Full-access to everything once you paid the monthly. (Usually S$10-15 per month.)
    The graphics are also top-notch; They have to give you something in return for thier income.
    The community there is also more or less filitered, as you don't see irrational 10-year olds spouting vulgarities to make themselves seem older, since you have to pay to play.
    All Subcription-Based Games are multiplayer, meaning content patches regularly happen. They happen just as often Free to Play Games, but worth alot more content, and no 'Cash Shops'

Cons
    The thought of paying to play scares people immediately. Funny, considering that the 'Free to Play' does the same thing in a different way.
    The game also needs to be paid for, but usually, the large price tag is due to the 1-2 months game time the purchase gives you. They bundle the game cheap. Most games of this type now use download mediums at much lower fees.

Example: Everquest II
Note-Worthy Games: World Of Warcraft, EVE Online

Retailed Computer Games

Pros
They are very original in their own right and have lots of intresting features.
It's a 'pay-once, own-forever' deal.
They are sometimes patched with new content and features.
They usually have some modding tool to lengthen replayabillty greatly.
They are just as good as the Subcription Games, but in thier own right.

Cons
They also hardly get patched.
They eventually lose the player's attention due to their time of play out-lived.
Most games that are marketed mainly through this medium are hard to find later on in time.

Special Notes

Most retailed games that ARE worth your money, would be console games. It is really hard to judge retailed computer games, as they range from budding companies with little experience that make arcade games, to companies who were at it for years, who design the next frontier.

Do not try to buy many PC games unless it is a well known Game/Company (EA Games, Blizzard, etc.), or unless you really like the game, and if you know what it exactly is about.

Example: Warcraft III
Note-Worthy Games: Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands, Band Hero

As you can see, the choice is now yours. the 3 paths you still can choose to lead, if you're still wandering blindly in the road of unforgiving Free to Play games. Take a investment! Try grabbing a console game and play it! It's quality you can turn your back on!

Sure, Free-to-Play games might try to drag you back, but don't let it's cutsey graphics fool you! They mean you harm! Just invest your money in a comfortable spot, and you have access to the entire game! Don't let your money get leeched of for ridiculous things such as clothes and don't put shame to yourself in buying boosts! You might as well stop playing.

For me? I chose the Subcription-Based Path, with EVE Online. I also have Retail Games like Spore, Fable and Dragon Age Origins. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

My Two Cents on Maplestory and Related Free MMORPGs
Page 1 of 1